This year I thought I’d do a drawing specifically to honor/dishonor the day so many of us begrudgingly participate in in one form or another. Here’s a piece titled “SELF-LOVE”. I drew the left half and then flipped it in Photoshop because this would have been a real bitch to draw twice.
Click to enlarge…
1. When I was born cesarian (2′ 10 lbs.) the first words I “heard” were from the doctor who said, “Jesus Christ, look at the size of this kid!”
2. “Artist” is my second choice as a career path. My first was to play pro baseball (1st base).
3. My favorite animal is a polar bear… not a chimp (as many might imagine).
4. My favorite dreams involve flying (the power I’d wish for).
5. I still can’t believe that the ribbon on a cassette tape can sound like Metallica… or Kenny G.
6. I feel like the same person I was as when I was 6 years-old.
7. I can suspend 7 baseballs in one hand (last time I tried).
8. A really good school friend of mine coined the “N8” for me when we were in high school.
9. My first out-of-body experience was when I got 9 teeth extracted in one sitting before getting braces. I viewed my body as an inverted silhouette from 10 feet below as doctors worked on me.
10. My soccer coach was practicing with the team when I was in the 5th grade. I accidentally ran him over and broke his arm. For the rest of the season my nickname was “coach killer”.
11. I used to be able to ride a wheelie on my bike all of the way to grade school (roughly 2 miles).
12. The first time I met Lou Ferrigno (The 80’s Hulk) I asked him what time it was (well-knowing that he’s deaf) and I regret it to this day.
13. I have zero aim when it comes to throwing a frisbee.
14. When I was 14 my Dad saw me dunk a basketball for the first time on his 52nd birthday during half-time at my brother’s basketball game. He was the only one who cheered.
15. I always spell “restraunt” wrong.16.
16 is the age at which I stopped growing (6’9″).
17. 17 is my favorite number as well as my shoe size (my Mom cried in the shoe store when she discovered that that was my size).
18. My bare foot is… a foot.
19. My high school ran out of classes for me to take so I started taking community college art classes when I was a Senior. The instructor allowed me to do whatever I wanted.
20. When I was 20 years-old I was on the set of the movie True Crimes as an extra and Ashley Judd gave me a double-take when she arrived on set with her two toy dogs en route to her trailer.
21. I dreamt about John Denver dying the night before he passed away.
22. I’ve always disliked the number 22.
Here’s a look at a recent commission I did. I was asked to draw a family portrait with the members as their respective animals… two dragons, a mouse and an ox. It was a fun one to noodle with detail. Part of the reason it is designed in such a tight bunch is because the client is also hoping to get it tattooed on his arm with the wings wrapping around his inner bicep. My apologies to the tattoo artist that is given this detailed piece and has to translate it to ink.
Sketch followed by finished piece… click to enlarge.
Here’s a portrait I did of Vincent Van Gogh using a cup of coffee. The title of the piece is “Cup of Gogh” and measures 16″x20″. It was pretty funny when I went to get the cup of coffee at a local cafe and I asked the woman behind the counter which coffee had the prettiest color. She looked at me for a brief moment like I had testicles on my forehead. I then told her I wasn’t drinking it but rather painting with it. She then carefully suggested one for me and the rest is art history. This is my first painting done in coffee and it was a fun medium to explore.